Many of you may have heard about the exploding battery phenomenon that has been occurring lately among Dell laptops. Unfortunately the Sony batteries at fault in those incidents can also be found in nearly 1.8 million Apple laptops.
There have been rumblings that both companies knew about the potential dangers of the batteries as far back as October of 2005, but decided not to take action – until now.
If you own a Dell or an Apple laptop, here is the latest information on the recall:
Dell will recall 4.1 million laptop batteries sold between April 2004 and July 18th 2006.
- Latitude: D410, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610, D620, D800, D810
- Inspiron: 500M, 510M, 600M, 700M, 710M, 6000, 6400, 8500, 8600, 9100, 9200, 9300, 9400, E1505, E1705
- Precision: M20, M60, M70, M90
- XPS: XPS, XPS Gen2, XPS M170, XPS M1710
Click here for information and instructions regarding the Dell battery recall.
Apple will recall 1.8 million computers sold from October 2003 through August 2006.
- 12-inch iBook G4 / SN: ZZ338 – ZZ427, 3K429 – 3K611, 6C519 – 6C552
- 12-inch PowerBook G4 / SN: ZZ411 – ZZ427, 3K428 – 3K611
- 15-inch PowerBook G4 / SN: 3K425 – 3K601, 6N530 – 6N551, 6N601
Click here for information and instructions regarding the Apple battery recall.