The rumor mill on the black Xbox 360 was in full swing today, but this time you can take the information to the bank. Both Game Informer Magazine and Engadget have independently confirmed the details on the black XBox 360. Here is what you need to know:
- The console will be dubbed the “Xbox 360 Elite” and will be available in limited quantities. The exact figure is not known.
- The Elite will cost $479 and it will be sold alongside premium and core packs
- The Elite will have HDMI and a 120GB hard drive. No internal HD DVD drive or WiFi is planned
- At some point after Elite sells out, a 120GB drive and HDMI will become standard in the Premium edition. Prices should remain the same. This could happen as soon as the late summer or fall
- The Elite will run cooler than current 360s but there is no official word on whether it is due to the integration of 65nm chips.
So there you have it. If you have been waiting to pick up an Xbox 360 because of upgrade rumors, you now have a decision to make. Do you try and score a limited edition version or do you wait for the souped up Premium Edition? And if you already own a Premium edition, should you get pissed off at this news?