The original Torg RPG was released by West End Games in 1990, and it had an intriguing and ambitious premise. The Earth has been invaded by alternative realities (cosms) that are ruled by a “High Lord”. The High Lords are vying to steal the Earth’s energy and become the one true reality. The player takes on the role of “Storm Knights” who resist the High Lords using “magic, technology, miracles, and even super powers” to bend those realities. Torg Eternity is an update to that classic game that includes new rules, settings, full-color art, and a whole new Possibility War.
For fans of the original Torg, here’s a summary of what has changed:
- Perks are a system for buying and balancing all those awesome special abilities characters have
- Characters from cosms like Core Earth now get their due, with unique Perk sets for everyone
- Medals, Occultism, and Alchemy for Orrosh! Electric samurai in Pan-Pacifica! Cyber witches in the Cyberpapacy! Outsiders for Aysle!
- Tharkold–right from the start
- Streamlined reality rules that make some of the strange edge cases a little more clear
- Edeinos are MUCH more savage and frightening
- Damage is simpler and doesn’t need a chart. The change also fixes the “glass jaw” problem
- Interaction results are much simpler, with no chart needed
- Every cosm got an overhaul from the ground up, updating those that were out of date given the 30 years that have passed since the original game was released, refocusing some that had gone a little astray as the original game grew, and generally making each realm tougher! We had the luxury of all the development the original team did on the original cosms, so we consolidated some of the most beloved material and worked it in right from the start.
The Torg Eternity Kickstarter obliterated its modest goal of $8,000 in the blink of an eye and, at the time of writing, stands at over $200K. There are numerous pledge levels for both digital and physical versions of the game, including the Delphi Council Cargo Box at $200 that is jam packed with stuff. Head on over to Kickstarter to back the project while you still can.