The first standalone Star Wars arcade game in 14 years will make its debut during New York Comic Con at Dave and Buster’s in Times Square for a preview run that will last until November 2nd (with a full rollout beginning in January). Star Wars Battle Pod has you sitting in your own little pod with a joystick controller trying to navigate the Death Star trench run with all sorts of whiz-bang that will put that old vector graphics version to shame. Features include:
- Arcade-exclusive gameplay on a unique dome screen enveloping your entire area of sight which enables “the player to be surrounded by gameplay images and experiences on the dome screen”
- Expected to launch in the US in January 2015 “ in participating arcades around the country” with a global launch to follow
- Five stages that “recreate the fiercest battle scenes from the original Star Wars trilogy.” Players will take command of the vehicles that appear in the films such as X-wings, snowspeeders, speederbikes, the Millennium Falcon and TIE Advanced.
- Loaded with features and unique gameplay elements, players can “experience the impact of the explosions and destruction that will leave them with a sense of actually piloting and taking part in action-packed scenes from the films.”
- Star Wars: Battle Pod offers a real sense of flight combat action and delivers an authentic flying experience as if players are actually sitting in the cockpit of a battle pod in the Star Wars universe.
- Players can jump right in to true-to-film battles on Endor, Hoth, Death Star II, Yavin, and more
There’s even feedback in the chair and the controller to make you feel like you’re really there trying to save the universe!
See gameplay videos after the break.