Tom Baker Speaks About His Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Experience

tom baker five doctors

“The Day of the Doctor” was full of surprises, and one of the best ones was the appearance of Tom Baker. I think fans across the world squealed when he appeared on screen as The Curator. In his end of year reflection on his blog, Baker takes us back to the day he recorded his cameo over six months ago. He hadn’t read the whole script, and he traveled overnight to the studio in darkness in order to keep his appearance a secret. He writes:

It’s more than six months ago that I went to Cardiff to record my cameo. I had not read the script, the whole script I mean, which would have given me a clear picture of the story. Even when I was The Doctor I never read the whole script before rehearsals started: I just read, very carefully, my own scenes. It was not because I didn’t care, not at all, it was because I felt it was none of my business what happened to other characters in the story when I wasn’t present. My job was to play the hero, the Doctor, as he reacted to events that affected him.

Read the rest of the entry after the break to find out everything about his experience that day.

So through the wintry darkness of April, I travelled to Cardiff where my scene was to be shot. My appearance in the Anniversary Special was to be a secret – a surprise for the fans – so we and the BBC decided that I shouldn’t stay in a hotel in Cardiff in case people guessed what I was there for, so I agreed to travel overnight under cover of darkness. The pick-up was at 1.30am at home in East Sussex. The car was warm and the driver superb, so superb that we arrived in Cardiff at about 4.30am! The BBC had said they would shoot my bit at 8.30am and that I would probably be away in no time at all! That’s what they said. So my driver went off for an early breakfast and I was alone in freezing weather with only a gloomy caravan as shelter. I felt anxious as I walked about the dead BBC film sets and mulled over my mysterious little scene. Alone among dead sets and sad props and in cold weather my anxiety grew. I suddenly found the scene remote. I couldn’t get a handle on it and I began to regret accepting the job. Too late, I was on site and soon to be on set. The time was now about 5.20 so there was plenty of time to become seriously miserable before the call for make-up. And I walked up and down in the semi darkness, nobody to talk to, nowhere to find a cup of hot Bovril: you get the picture.

After a while the time passed as I knew it would, but it dragged its feet. Finally people began to arrive and I was called to costume and make-up and finally to the set. In the old days I knew everybody, or nearly everybody, the technicians and make-up people and all the other actors: I was at home in those long gone times. My gloom was lifted by the arrival of Matt Smith who welcomed me so enthusiastically that I began to think life was worthwhile.

And so we started to shoot the scene so that I could get away “in no time at all.” Matt and I did not discuss the scene or talk about what it might mean; God forbid! No, we started just after eight o’ clock and about four hours later I was released. I tried to flee but the enthusiasm of the crew meant I was in big demand for pictures and autographs. People were nice but I longed to be away. At last we left and my driver got me back to Sussex by late afternoon.

Six months passed before I could judge how the scene would be received. Because I had to keep the secret of my part in the Special, I almost forgot I was in it! And so we came to November 23rd and the 50th Anniversary Celebration at the ExCel Centre, the launch of the Doctor Who Special and the interviews. There were thousands and more thousands of fans there: more than I had ever seen anywhere. At the Q&A sessions (there were two) we had 4,000 fans twice! Their enthusiasm revitalised me and from 9.0am, I was whirled all over the centre from TV interviews to radio huddles, from photo calls, to Q&A sessions. The Excel Centre is so large I had to go by car from one place to the next. It was tumult: the fans cheered as if I had come back from the dead and the cheering did the trick and for a few hours I was my old self. I travelled back in time: it was wonderful. I was too tired to stay for the evening screening of The Day of the Doctor, and the After Party, but I enjoyed it all. And I suspect the other old Doctors did too. It was very sweet to meet Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy and Peter Davison and they were very kind and cheerful.

(Tom Baker via BC)


comments powered by Disqus