WTF does WTF Certified mean? I wish I knew. All I’ve got is that it’s part of yet another gimmick from DC Comics to get readers to pick up comics. Hey, at least it’s not called a crossover event or a reboot.
Each New 52 issue released in April will be stamped with the above “WTF Certified” logo. DC is promising the comics will each have a “What the… ?!” moment that will leave readers shocked. Batman, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Catwoman, Superman – all of them have something unexpected coming at them.
I’m sorry, is that supposed to make me want to pick up more DC brand comics than the ones I already buy? It’s not working.
To tease fans, DC has shared partial covers for all the issues. They’re not releasing any details, but they did provide this list of clues to Buzzfeed:
• Booster Gold reappears while an entire team disappears
• One team is trapped in a bottle while another is changed completely
• Some heroes change their colors and other change allegiances
• Pandora battles to the death
• A close encounter of The Dark Knight kind
• There’s a new, old Creeper and some old New Gods.
• One hero quits, and another hero dies
Hmm. Well, at least they’re successful in getting the media talking about the release. Let’s see if it translates to increased sales.
See a sampling of the covers after the break.
Be sure to check out all 52 covers in the link below.