Excel is the domain of accountants and business types and it’s not known for being terribly exciting, but that’s about to change. Accountant Cary Walkin built a playable RPG inside Excel. It’s called Arena.Xlsm and you can download it right here for use on Excel 2007 and 2010 on PC only. The game includes:
- Random enemies: Over 2000 possible enemies with different AI abilities.
- Random items: 39 item modifiers result in over 1000 possible item combinations and attributes.
- An interesting story with 4 different endings depending on how the player has played the game.
- 8 boss encounters, each with their own tactics.
- 4 pre-programmed arenas followed by procedurally generated arenas. Each play-through has its own challenges.
- 31 Spells. There are many different strategies for success.
- 15 Unique items. Unique items have special properties and can only drop from specific enemies.
- 36 Achievements.
And here you thought accountants were too serious for games.
(via Boing Boing)